Does backcountry navigation with the cellular data radio turned off use LESS battery power?

1 view

Andy Burnelli

Nov 23, 2022, 6:25:00 PM11/23/22
Does offline navigation use LESS battery power than online navigation?

In another thread today, Andy & Steve and Bodger were discussing how GPS
navigation uses more battery power - particularly meaningful for iPhones as
Steve noted - because of their puny batteries - which it does - but why?
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/6E1086eBU0c/m/ROgh3g5nBwAJ>

a. The GPS receiver itself (of course) is a (well-known) battery hog
b. But what about the cellular data radio (when used for online routing)?

Me? I generally navigate using offline navigation applications.
But I became good at offline routing for privacy (not power) reasons.

The offline navigation choices are about the same for either iOS or Android
where there are usually the same free apps which route off trail on both.
<https://www.paper-maps.com/>
<https://www.avenzamaps.com/>

In a vehicle, power draw isn't usually an issue; but when backcountry
hiking, power draw is critical, where I usually navigate using free USGS
topographic maps inside offline programs (e.g., Avenza or PaperMaps).

Hence, when I'm navigating, the cellular data radio is usually turned off.
Which brings up the question, the answer to which I'm not sure of.

Does navigating with the cellular data radio turned off use LESS battery
power (than the same navigation, but with the cellular data being used)?

nospam

Nov 23, 2022, 6:51:29 PM11/23/22
In article <tlma4a$ftq$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<sp...@nospam.com> wrote:

> Does offline navigation use LESS battery power than online navigation?

slightly, because the radios will be idle (or off if in airplane mode).

the difference is insignificant compared to how much power gps draws.